Thursday, August 11, 2011

The most effective form of birth control...

Ask anybody who works full-time with kids what the most effective form of birth control is and I can guarantee you they will all answer: working full-time with kids.

I guess I'll stray from the anonymous blogging for a minute and tell you a little something about myself.  I teach theater, music, and dance to kids ages 0-12.  Currently, I'm in the middle of a two week musical theater and art camp with 4 to 12 years olds.  Did I mention there's 53 of them?  Yep!  That's right.  Every day from 8:45-4:00 I attempt to teach theater to fifty-three hyper kids.

Today was the worst.  I started off the day great with a mom telling me that she was planning on pulling her four kids out of camp because there's not enough supervision and kids are bullying each other.  "This has never happened any other session," she says, implying that I am a sub-par teacher, inferior to the others who have taught at the camp.  Then the camp director tells me that with 5 counselors, 53 kids should be totally manageable.  I guess she has never seen a real drama class.  The ideal drama class does not have more than 12 people in it.  It's such a high energy art that if you have more kids than you can handle, it quickly becomes a chaotic mess.  Yikes!

So in this sense, I am glad I'm still a virgin.  I never have to worry about ending up with a kid that I'm not ready for.  53 kids has quickly become my worst nightmare, but at least I leave them (and their parents) at 4:00.  I need a stiff drink.

1 comment: